We all love Italian food, don’t we? But when it comes to picking one dish that aces them all, we have got to give it to lasagna! Lasagna are wide, flat pasta, and possibly one of the oldest types of pasta. “Lasagna”, or the singular “lasagna”, commonly refers to a dish made with several layers of lasagna sheets alternated with sauces and other ingredients, such as veggies or meat and lot of cheese.
The International Pasta Organization offers 4 good reasons you can continue to enjoy pasta –
1. Pasta Is Good For You And Good For The Planet
2. Pasta Helps Keep You Full
3. Pasta Does Not Make You Fat
4. Pasta Is Tasty And Brings People Together
Serves – 6
A. For Red Sauce
6 medium sized tomatoes
5 onions, finely chopped
2 green capsicums, finely chopped
2 green chillies
⅔ cup of whole milk
3 garlic cloves
3 basil leaves
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp pasta pizza sauce
1 tbsp arrabiata sauce
1½ tsp of Italian mixed herbs
¾ tsp of black pepper
¼ cup of water
2 tsp of salt or as per taste
B. For White Sauce
200g of chopped mushrooms, boiled & drained
1 cup chopped spinach, blanched & drained
½ cup salted butter
½ cup all purpose flour (maida)
3 cups of whole milk
¼ tsp sugar
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp Italian mixed herbs
1 tbsp of eggless mayonnaise
1 tsp of salt or as per taste
C. Add Ons
8 lasagna sheets
200g of shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Bring a wide sauce pan of water to a boil, add salt and some olive oil into it.
2. Place the lasagna sheet in the boiling water. Cook them uncovered, stirring occasionally and gently so that the sheets do not break, till the sheet have cooked through but are still slightly firm, for about 8-12 minutes.
3. Drain and gently place the lasagna sheet in chilled water and set aside.
4. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat and cook the onions and capsicum until vegetables are tender and are light brown in colour.
5. Till the vegetables are getting cooked, blend together the tomatoes, garlic, green chillies and the milk to form a purée.
6. Add the purée to the cooked vegetables and cook till moisture evaporates and oil starts to ooze out from the sides.
7. Add salt, black pepper powder, Italian mixed herbs, pasta pizza sauce, and arrabiata sauce. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes. Then add water and bring to boil and turn off the stove.
8. Now, in a fresh skillet, on a medium heat, melt butter. Add the all purpose flour and stir until the butter & flour are well combined.
9. Pour in milk stirring the sauce constantly with a whisker to avoid lumps and make a thick sauce. Lower the flame and add salt, sugar, black pepper, Italian mixed herbs and eggless mayonnaise. Mix well.
10. Add the boiled mushrooms & spinach to the sauce & mix for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Boil and turn off the flame.
11. Pre-heat the oven at 180ᵒ C.
12. Now for the layering of the lasagna, grease a 9×9 inch baking dish. Arrange 2 lasagna sheets in a single layer in the prepared baking dish, then spread half of the prepared red sauce over the sheets, and sprinkle ¼th of the mozzarella cheese over it.
13. Now for the second layer take 2 more lasagna sheet and place them over the red sauce in a single layer, and spread half of the prepared white sauce over the sheets, and sprinkle ¼th of the mozzarella cheese over it.
14. Repeat both point 12 & 13 once more.
15. Bake the lasagna in the preheated oven until the cheese melts and takes a golden brown colour.
16. Allow lasagna to rest for 5 minutes and then serve.
Please tell us what you think about this recipe by rating it.
Like, Share & Follow us.
And don’t forget to give us a feedback in the comment section below.