Today’s dish comes from the sacred land of Banaras – Instant Matar Poha Recipe. Poha is basically beaten or flattened Indian rice and depending on the region it goes under different names like chivda, poha, chooda/choora, Chiura, Aval and so on. Overall a simple, healthy and one pot breakfast meal that is relished in every Indian household.
The best time to relish fresh green peas is winters, so we present you this regular ingredient in an exciting avatar! A prefect recipe for serving those guest who come without a notice.
Serves – 4
250g flattened rice (poha)
500g peas (peeled)
3 tbsp vegetable oil
A pinch of asafoetida (Hing)
1 tsp cumin seeds (Jeera)
½ tea spoon turmeric powder (Haldi)
2 tsp coriander powder (Dhaniya Powder)
2 tsp red chilli powder (Lal mirch powder)
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp cumin powder (Jeera Powder)
½ tsp amchoor powder
¼ tsp garam masala
Vegetable Oil for Frying
Salt to taste
1. In a frying pan, heat the vegetable oil on a medium high flame to fry the poha.
2. Take a fine sieve with a handle and place ⅓rd of the poha in it. Now immerse the sieve with the poha in the medium hot oil and fry till they expand and become crisp. (Do not let them take a brown color).
3. Remove the fried poha carefully on a plate lined with a paper towel to remove the excess oil.
4. Repeat the step twice with the remaining ⅔rd of poha by taking only ⅓rd at a time.
5. After the excess oil has been absorbed, transfer the fried poha in an air tight container so that they don’t become soggy.
6. In a wide sauce pan, heat some oil over medium heat and once the oil is hot, add the asafoetida & the cumin seed to it and cook till they start to sizzle.
7. Now add the washed peas and turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, sugar & salt and mill well.
8. Cover with a lid and cook till the peas are tender on a low flame.
9. Now add the amchoor powder & garam masala & cook for 2 minutes then turn off the stove.
10. While serving, in a bowl of your choice, take fried flattened rice & spread them evenly. Now put the peas mixture over it and serve hot immediately.
Please tell us what you think about this recipe by rating it.
Like, Share & Follow us.
And don’t forget to give us a feedback in the comment section below.