This famous dish has some delicious flavors which comes from the spicy masalas used in it. Such a splash of flavours is essential to enjoy food in extreme climates such as that found in Rajasthan.
Kadhi Bajra with powdered jaggery is a dish that has indeed a curious way of bringing a smile on any foodie’s face. Bajra Khichdi Recipe —> (Bajra Khichdi)
Serves – 6
A. For the Besan Pakoda
1½ cup of besan
¼ tsp baking soda
Salt to taste
1 cup water, or as required
Ghee, for frying
B. For Kadhi
2⅔ cup of curd
1 cup besan
⅔ cup water, or as required
3 tbsp ghee
½ tsp Ajwain
½ tsp red mustard seeds (barik rai)
1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi daana)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
6-7 dry red chillies
1 inch ginger, grated
1 tsp turmeric powder
2½ tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp mango powder
½ tsp garam masala
1 tsp kasuri methi
Salt to taste
C. For Tempering
1 tbsp ghee
2 dry red chillies
1 tsp degi mirch
Coriander leaves, for garnishing
1. For the pakoda batter, in a bowl add besan, salt, soda & water. Mix well & make a batter of medium consistency.
2. Now for frying heat ghee in a pan.
3. Add spoonfuls of the batter in hot oil depending on the size of the pan.Fry until light brown in colour. Set aside.
4. Now for the Kadhi, prepare the besan mixture. Take a bowl & add besan, curd & 2/3 cup of water. Mix well using a hand beater & make a batter of medium consistency.
5. Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan. Once the ghee is hot, add ajwain, red mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, dry red chillis, grated ginger, turmeric powder & red chilli powder.
6. Once everything starts to splutter, add the besan mixture & 3L of water. Bring the Kadhi to one boil on a high flame.
7. Add salt & cook on low flame for about an hour until the oil comes on top & Kadhi becomes medium thick. Keep stirring in between.
8. Add mango powder, garam masala & kasuri methi. Mix well.
9. Add the besan pakodas, mix gently and turn of the flame.
10. While serving, temper the Kadhi by heating ghee in a tempering pan, add the dry red chillies & degi mirch & once they start to splutter, turn off the flame & add it over the prepared Kadhi.
11. Garnish with coriander leaves, & serve hot.
Please tell us what you think about this recipe by rating it.
Like, Share & Follow us.
And don’t forget to give us a feedback in the comment section below.