Rajma, a protien rich Indian curry which is best enjoyed with steamed rice is one of the healthiest & easiest to make.
Serves – 4
A. For Rajma
1¼ cup rajma, soaked overnight
Salt to taste
3 large onions, puréed
5 medium tomatoes, puréed
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 tsp coriander powder
1½ tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp mango powder
30g tamarind, soaked in ½ cup water for 20 min
¼ tsp garam masala
Coriander leaves, for garnishing
B. For Rice
1½ cup rice, soaked for 30 min & strained
8 cups water
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp ghee
¼ beetroot, grinded with ¼ cup water & strained
6-7 strands of saffron, soaked in ¼ cup hot milk
1. Discard the water of soaked rajma & rinse them again in fresh water.
2. For boiling, in a pressure cooker add the rajma, salt & 5ml (1 tsp) of ghee. Add enough water to soak the rajma. Cook on high flame till 4 whistles then on low flame for 45-50 min.
3. In a deep sauce pan heat 60ml ghee (¼ cup) on medium flame, add cumin seeds & let them crackle.
4. Add the puréed onions & cook until it turns light brown.
5. Add coriander, red chilli & mango powder. Mix well & cook for 3-4 min.
6. Add the puréed tomatoes & cook until the oil separates.
7. With your hands, squeeze the pulp from the tamarind in the same bowl. Strain the pulp & add it in the cooked masala. Mix well & cook for 2-3 min.
Please Note: You can add more or less tamarind according to your taste.
8. Add the rajma along with the stock & mix well with the masala. You can add more water & salt if required. Cook for 2-3 min.
9. Add garam masala & cook on low flame for 8-10 min.
10. Add 30ml (2tbsp ghee).
11. Mix well & garnish it with coriander leaves while serving.
12. Now for the rice, in a heavy bottom pan, boil water on a high flame & add salt along with the strained rice.
13. Cook until the the rice is well cooked, checking it after every minute.
14. Strain the cooked rice in a colander & transfer back to the heavy bottom pan & add ghee.
15. Using a dropper add the saffron milk & beetroot water over the rice.
16. Give it a rest for about 10 min & gently mix.
Serve hot with onions & chillies.
Please tell us what you think about this recipe by rating it.
Like, Share & Follow us.
And don’t forget to give us a feedback in the comment section below.