Here comes the second Valentine’s Special recipe. These are deep-fried patties made from ground chickpeas. Falafel is commonly served in a pita, which acts as a pocket, or wrapped in a flatbread known as taboon.
The falafel patties are topped with salads, pickled vegetables, hot sauce, and drizzled with tahini-based sauces. Falafel patties may also be eaten alone as a snack or served as part of a meze.
Serves – 4
Readymade pita bread
2 cups chickpeas, soaked overnight
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
1 cup fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin powder
1½ tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp black pepper powder
1 tsp coriander powder
Salt to taste
1 cup bread crumbs
Oil for frying
1. Discard the water of soaked chickpeas & rinse them again in fresh water.
2. In a food processor, add the chickpeas and blend well until a rough, coarse meal forms. You want the mixture to hold together but not a paste so don’t over process.
3. Transfer it into a bowl and add the chopped onions, green chillies & coriander leaves. Mix well.
4. Add cumin powder, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, coriander powder & salt. Mix well.
5. Add the bread crumbs and give it one last mix.
6. Take a frying pan and heat oil.
7. Meanwhile, form falafel mixture into flat-round patties using oiled hands & cut them into heart shape using a heart shaped cutter. Place them on a greased plate.
8. Once the oil is hot enough, fry the falafels in batches of 4-5 at a time till golden brown on both sides, on a low flame.
9. Let the excess oil drain on a paper towel.
Serve the falafels fresh & hot as they might turn dry if kept for long. Serve them with a bowl of hummus & baba ganoush. You can also stuff them into pita breads and garnish them with sliced salad.
Please tell us what you think about this recipe by rating it.
Like, Share & Follow us.
And don’t forget to give us a feedback in the comment section below.