Dal makhani or dal makhni is a popular dish from the Punjab region of the Indian subcontinent. The primary ingredients are whole black lentil, red kidney beans, butter and cream. A creamy, rich and flavourful lentil dish which is a perfect companion every naan and roti deserves.
The best Dal Makhani recipe, trust us & try this!
Serves – 6
300g whole urad dal (black lentils), soaked overnight
120g rajma (kidney beans), soaked overnight
1 inch cinnamon
3 tbsp ghee
3 tbsp butter, salted
750ml full cream milk
3 tbsp curd
½ kg onion, roughly chopped
3 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 inch ginger, roughly chopped
8-10 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2 tbsp degi mirch
1 tsp Mango powder (Amchoor powder)
1¼ tsp Red Chilli Powder
½ tsp Kasoori methi powder
1 tbsp + 1 tsp salt
50ml fresh cream
Fresh cream & Coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Discard the water of soaked urad dal & rajma & rinse them again in fresh water.
2. For boiling, in a pressure cooker add the urad dal, rajma, cinnamon, 1 tbsp ghee & 1 tbsp salt. Add enough water to soak the dal & rajma completely. Cook on high flame till 4 whistles & then on low flame for 45-50 min.
3. Mash well using a masher.
4. Add milk & water & cook for 40-45 minutes on low flame stirring at regular intervals.
5. Meanwhile, in a deep sauce pan heat 1 tbsp ghee & 1 tbsp butter on a medium flame. Add ginger & garlic then cook until they turn light brown.
6. Add onions & tomatoes. Cook until they become tender.
7. Add 1 tbsp degi mirch & 3 tbsp curd. Cook for 4-5 minutes, turn off the flame & let it come to room temperature.
8. Grind this mixture to a smooth paste in a grinder.
9. Now, take a deep sauce pan again & heat 1 tbsp ghee & 1 tbsp butter on a medium flame.
10. Add 1 tbsp degi mirch. Mix well & add the grinded mixture. Cook for 8-10 min on low flame.
11. Then add mango powder, red chilli powder, kasoori methi powder, & 1 tsp salt. Mix well & cook for 5-7 minutes on low flame.
Please Note: If required, add more salt.
12. Add the cooked dal makhani to this masala mixture. Mix well.
13. Add 1 tbsp butter & fresh cream. Mix well and Cook for 3-4 min on low flame.
14. Garnish with fresh cream & coriander leaves.
Serve hot with naan, tandoori roti or jeera rice.
Please tell us what you think about this recipe by rating it.
Like, Share & Follow us.
And don’t forget to give us a feedback in the comment section below.