Baingan Bharta is a South Asian dish, that originated in Punjab, bearing a resemblance to baba ghanoush. The delicious roasted brinjal dish is one of the most comforting things to eat along with crisp mirchi rotis.
This easy baingan bharta recipe is going to be a sure shot hit at home! Large brinjals (eggplant/baingan) are charred on an open flame, mashed and mixed along with chopped onions, tomatoes and basic spices.
The mouthwatering smoky flavour that comes from charring the baingan is what makes this dish so amazing.
Serves – 4
2 medium sized brinjals
3 large onions, finely chopped
5 medium/200 grams tomatoes, finely chopped
2 green chillies, finely chopped
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp coriander powder
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp mango powder
Coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Make small slits in the brinjal and roast it on a medium flame till well cooked and the skin has charred completely.
2. Let the brinjal cool down. Once the brinjal is cool enough peel it and mash.
3. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add cumin seeds and wait for them to crackle.
4. Add turmeric powder and give it a stir.
5. Add the chopped onions, tomatoes and green chillies at the same time and cook for 2-3 minutes on a low flame.
6. Add salt, coriander powder, paprika & mango powder. Cook till the tomatoes are a little soft and the onions are golden brown.
7. Time to add the mashed brinjal. Saute for 10 minutes or till the sides leave the oil.
8. Garnish it with fresh coriander leave and serve it with some delicious mirchi rotis.
Please tell us what you think about this recipe by rating it.
Like, Share & Follow us.
And don’t forget to give us a feedback in the comment section below.